Association's 2017 Holiday Homes
East End Historical District
Association will host its 28th
Annual “A Victorian Christmas”
Holiday Homes Tour on Friday,
December 1, from 5:30 to 9:30 p.m.
This event is the EEHDA's biggest
on the tour will experience a
wonderful evening of historic
homes festively decorated for the
holiday season, and will enjoy a
variety of joyful holiday music.
Five East End Historical District
homes will be featured on the
tour, and the neighborhood will be
teeming with the delightful sounds
of the holidays. Musical
entertainment will be provided by
Members and Friends of the First
Presbyterian Church Chancel Choir,
Bagpiper Stanley Fontenot, Pianist
Mary Jean Sargent, Soloist Megan
Maxwell, the Galveston Community
Band, and the Galveston String
1883 Levy-Bowden House. This home was built
in 1883 by Meyer M. Levy, a broker
and grocery commission merchant.
The house was severely damaged
during the 1900 storm, and was
sold to building contractor, M.C.
Bowden. Bowden restored the house
and lived there with his family
until his death in 1938.
1890 Ernestine Van der
Linde Cottage. Ernestine Van der
Linde hired Galveston builder
William Pautsch to construct a 1½
story raised cottage on this
lot in 1890. Mrs. Van der Linde
purchased the lot from Dorothea
Juneman in 1889. Mrs. Juneman
owned 5 lots on the south side of
Ball, and sold lots 3 and 4 after
the 1885 fire. This cottage was
the first structure on the south
side of the block to be rebuilt
after the fire.
1892 Christopher Henck
Tenant House. Built by Christopher
Henck in 1892, this two story
tenant house represents one of the
most common house forms on the
island—the side-hall plan with
double-front gallery. In the late
19th century, Galveston property
owners built hundreds of tenant
cottages to offer housing to
immigrants arriving in Galveston.
Koehler Family House. This house was
designed by George B. Stowe, for
the Koehler family in 1905. It’s
twin house is located at 1915
Sealy. The Koehlers were Richard
Emil and R. Herman, who were
dentists, and Frederick J.,who was
Secretary-Treasurer for Galveston
wholesalers Stolz and Koehler.
1928 Paul Chushcoff
Tenant Cottage. This cottage was
built in 1928 as a rental property
for Paul and Veska Chushcoff. Mr.
Chushcoff was born in 1892 in
Yugoslavia, immigrated to
Galveston as a young man, and
built a career as a Galveston
East End Historical District
Association sites will also be
included on the tour:
Victor Gustafson Cottage. Victor Gustafson was
a Galveston Wharves cotton
screwman who rebuilt this cottage
after the 1900 storm. This house
was moved from another location in
the East End, and now serves as
the EEHDA Community Cottage.
Park. This park was built
after a fire destroyed Darragh
House on this site in the 1990s.
The property was donated to the
EEHDA, and a longtime association supporter, Dr.
E. Burke Evans, donated the funds
to build the wrought iron gazebo.
for the tour are $20.00, and are
available online at www.eehda.org,
or by visiting The Grand 1894
Opera House, 2020 Postoffice St.,
800-821-1894. The proceeds from
this event help the EEHDA maintain
the East End
Cottage, Darragh Park and Alderdice
Park, all of which are open to the
community for public use.